A brief guide to the Parish Church of St Blaise, Milton

The Vestry

The vestry was, until 2004, the space occupied by the pipe organ. Tim Budd, a parishioner, made the fine screen between the vestry and north aisle from parts of the organ case. On the east wall there are verses from Exodus.


On the south and north walls, high up and almost out of sight, are four marble tablets of interest. They are so embedded in the wall that it is not possible to move them lower down. They commemorate the Warner family, including James Warner, Rector from 1744 to 1779 and one of the original Eaton Charity Trustees, and his son James George Warner, Rector from 1780 to 1803 and the founder of the village school. He also gave the patronage of the living to Christ Church, Oxford.

The windows

The window in the east wall, of St Peter and St Paul, is by Thomas Willement. That in the north wall, designed by Michael O’Connor, shows St Blaise, the patron saint of the church, carrying an iron wool-comb with which he was martyred by his flesh being torn from his body in 316. On account of this he was adopted at the patron saint of wool combers.