A brief guide to the Parish Church of St Blaise, Milton

The North Aisle

An aisle was added to the north side of the Nave in 1817. It was narrow, and separated from the Nave by wooden pillars. In 1851 this aisle was replaced by the present one. On the floor to the east of the step by the front pew there is an 18th century tombstone which possibly once stood in this position when it was part of the churchyard. The inscription, now almost illegible, says:
“What we have been or what we now may be, Reader, is of small moment to thee; the Question is, where thy own soul shall dwell. When Death shall call thee hence, in Heaven or Hell?”

The windows

The eastern most and central windows were re-leaded at the same time as the Nave windows and some of the Flemish glass fragments were inserted. The window nearest the west end of the Aisle, a painted window, is in memory of Frances Martha Woodyer, the wife of the architect who rebuilt much of the church. It may be Woodyer’s own design or that of Michael O’Connor. Woodyer is pictured in the crowd (the man with a beard wearing pink and on the left) and the lady in yellow in front of him is his wife Frances.

The royal arms

The royal arms of the Stuarts was placed in the church at the time of the Restoration of Charles II in 1660. It is of gilded wood, beautifully hand-carved with great care and attention to such details as the unicorn’s teeth and the lion’s claws. The gold leaf is thought to be original (1660).